The two earliest English forts at Old Road and Sandy Point Town (Hamilton Fort) were in poor condition and it was decided, ‘to build a big,
strong fort on Cleverly’s Hill, under Brimstone Hill. It was a suitable site, as ships were often becalmed beneath it,
when making for Sandy Point Road.
It was named after King Charles II, who gave £500 to assist the planters.’ (Manchester, p.19)
Charles Fort was a military post from 1670 until it was abandoned in 1854.
Some forty years later in 1890 it was used as a Hansen Home (leper asylum).
The Home was closed in 1996.