Bayroad, Basseterre, StKitts

(123) 456-7890

Info for Travellers to StKitts

Travel Summary
St Kitts and Nevis does not have a British High Commission. In an emergency telephone the British Honorary Consul (+869 466 8888; mobile +869 762 8888).
Alternatively, you can contact the British High Commission in Antigua and Barbuda.

Approx 10,000 British nationals visited St Kitts and Nevis in 2006 (Source: Ministry of Tourism). Most visits to St Kitts and Nevis are trouble-free. The main type of incidents for which British nationals required consular assistance in St Kitts and Nevis in 2007 were for: replacing lost or stolen passports; and dealing with hospitalisations.

Safety and security
Threat from terrorism are low but things can change at any moment globally. Be aware of the global risk
of indiscriminate terrorist attacks which could be in public areas, including those frequented by expatriates and foreigntravellers.

We urge you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance
before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for the activities you want to undertake.


Take sensible precautions and be vigilant at all times. Prevention is better than the cure. Avoid isolated areas, including beaches, after dark. Do not carry large amounts of cash or jewellery.
Valuables and travel documents should be left in safety deposit boxes and hotel safes when possible.

Road Travel
In order to drive a car in St Kitts and Nevis you must purchase a
local driving licence, usually from the car hire company, at a cost of EC$ 100.
You must show your current driving licence to obtain this.

Motorists drive on the left in St Kitts and Nevis. Main roads are generally well maintained but many follow winding routes so careful driving is necessary. Roads are not well lit at night. You must be alert for stray livestock and speed bumps in some areas that are not clearly marked. Hiring of scooters is popular amongst visitors but safety equipment is not included in the hire price: despite the additional cost this is highly recommended for your own protection. You should be cautious when driving a scooter, as other road users do not always give them appropriate consideration.

Air Travel
You will have to pay a departure tax when leaving St Kitts and Nevis.
This departure tax is currently 58 East Caribbean Dollars (peradult) and EC$25 (child under 12).

Local laws and customs
There are severe penalties for all drug offences. Pack all
luggage yourself and do not carry anything through customs for anyone else.

It is an offence for anyone, including children, to dress in camouflage clothing.

British Passport holders do not require visas to visit St Kitts and Nevis. On entry you are granted a one month stay. If you wish to stay longer you must apply and pay for an extension of stay through the St Kitts and Nevis Immigration Department. It is an offence to overstay the entry period granted or to work without a work permit.

Passport validity
Your passports should be valid for at least six months.

The medical facilities on the islands are limited to one hospital, which can deal only with routine medical cases. More serious cases will need to be dealt with in Puerto Rico, USA once the patient is in a stable condition.

Dengue fever is common to Latin America and the Caribbean and can occur throughout the year. In 2007 there was a marked increase in the number of reported cases of dengue across the region. Dengue fever is present in St Kitts and Nevis.

As usual, exercise normal precautions to avoid exposure to HIV/AIDS.

You should seek medical advice before travelling to St Kitts & Nevis and ensure that all appropriate vaccinations are up-to-date. For further information on vaccination requirements, health outbreaks and general disease protection and prevention you should visit the websites of the National Travel Heath Network
and Centre (NaTHNaC) and NHS Scotland’s Fit For Travel or call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47.

Natural disasters
On 29 November 2007 an earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Richter Scale hit just off the coast of Martinique. The earthquake was felt throughout the region but there were no reports of injury or major damage to property. Hurricanes also sweep through the island annually

We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance, which includes medical evacuation, before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for all the activities you want to undertake. Be especially careful about cover for recurring illnesses as
they may not be include in all insurance policies. For more general information see Travel Insurance.

What to do when things go bad?

Package Holidays
If you are on a package holiday, you must travel on the specified return date.
If you fail to do so it is likely that you will have to pay for a return ticket yourself. Its best to book your holiday by credit card in case your airline goes bust.
Then you can get refunds and compensation when you return home.

Keep a copy of the photo page of your passport and relevant entry stamp in case your documents are stolen.

In the event of loss of your passport, you will need to apply to the Passport Office at the British High Commission, Barbados for a replacement. The British Honorary Consul in St Kitts can advise you how to do this. Urgent applications are sent to Bridgetown by courier, incurring courier costs, but even so the issue of a replacement passport will still take several days.

Leave a Reply